1. Cut eggplant lengthwise in half if large. Leave whole if small . Place in a shallow heatproof dish (cut-side down if halved) and steam on a rack until soft (about 3O minutes).
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash pepper
1 clove garlic
2. Let cool slightly. Remove stem end and peel. Tear lengthwise in strips (this is easier than cutting) ; then chop fine.
3. Transfer eggplant to a bowl. Add vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, blending well.
4. Cut garlic clove in half. Rub inside of a bowl or decorative mold with cut surface of garlic; then place garlic at bottom of bowl. Pack in eggplant mixture and refrigerate overnight.
5. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter. Invert eggplant onto lettuce. Remove garlic and serve.
VARIATIONS: For a coarser-textured dish, tear the eggplant as in step 2, but do not chop. In step 3, substitute the following dressing: 1 slice ginger root, minced; 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and a few drops of sesame oil.
Refrigerate, covered, only 1 to 2 hours.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: