Baby Eggplant Delight
5 baby eggplants
1. Slice off the ends of the eggplant and cut them in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the insides (leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell) and chop.
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, minced
3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
3 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
1 cup homemade tomato sauce
4 tablespoons olive oil
8 capers, drained and chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. Heat the oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until transparent. Add the eggplant pulp and salt and sauté until limp.
3. Add the tomatoes, parsley, capers, basil and black pepper. Sauté until wilted. Turn off the heat and stir in the bread crumbs and cheese.
4. Stuff the eggplant shells. Keep the stuffing level with the eggplant. Place them in a large baking dish and top the eggplant with the tomato sauce.
5. Bake covered in a preheated 350° F oven for 45 minutes until tender.
Wonderful flavor. I have a similar recipe but this one is much more flavorful. It does work well with Mozzarella cheese in place of the other also.
Philocrates, Location not stated.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe