Eggplant Parmesan (version XXIV)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Heat oven to 400F. Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and sugar, the oregano and pepper in bowl.
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1-1/2 pound eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 cup onion, chopped
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
4 tablespoons dry white wine, divided
16 ounces stewed tomatoes, or 14 ounces can
1 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, lowfat, shredded
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
basil sprigs, for garnish
2. Coat large cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Brush both sides of eggplant vinegar mixture and arrange in single layer on cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes per side or until fork-tender.
3. Combine onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil and 2 tablespoons wine in large non-stick skillet, stirring, over medium-high heat until onions are soft, 5 minutes.
4. Stir in stewed tomatoes with their liquid, chopped tomato, basil, remaining 2 tablespoon wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes, 10 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 cups sauce.
5. Spoon one third of the sauce into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant over sauce. Spoon half the remaining sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle 2/.3 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining eggplant, sauce and mozzarella and the Parmesan.
6. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes more, until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier cutting. Garnish with basil sprigs.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: