Eggplant Casserole (version IX)
1 small eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1. From eggplant, cut 12 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slices; set aside. Coarsely chop any remaining eggplant to add to sauce later. Finely chop mushrooms and onion; mince garlic.
1 8-ounce package medium-size mushrooms
1 medium-size onion
1 garlic clove
olive or salad oil
1 35-ounce can italian plum tomatoes
1 3/4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1 8-ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
2. In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot olive or salad oil, cook mushrooms, garlic, and 3 tablespoons water until tender. Remove mushroom mixture to large bowl.
3. Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. In same skillet over medium-high heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or salad oil, cook onion until tender but not browned. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, sugar, salt, and chopped eggplant; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place half of eggplant slices on rack in broiling pan; brush both sides of slices with 1 tablespoon olive or salad oil. Broil 8 minutes or until lightly browned, turning eggplant once halfway through cooking time. Remove to plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and 1 additional tablespoon olive or salad oil.
5. Turn oven control to 375 degrees F. Into mushroom mixture in bowl, stir egg, bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese, and chopped parsley until blended. Onto narrow end of each eggplant slice, spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon mushroom mixture; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and mushroom mixture.
6. Spoon half the sauce into bottom of shallow 2-quart casserole or 11-inch by 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Place eggplant rolls, seam-side down, in sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until eggplant rolls are heated through and sauce is hot and bubbly.
7. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: