Eggplant and Tomato Bake (version II)
3 large eggplants
1. Slice the eggplants into 1/4 inch slices and lightly salt them. Leave them to sweat for 30 minutes. While the eggplant are set aside, sauté the onions, garlic, and olive oil in a large skillet over a low heat, covering the pan with a lid to keep them moist. Sauté the onions until they are soft and turning gold in color.
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato puree
1/4 cup water
ground black pepper
2 (8 ounce) containers plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup wheat germ or whole meal breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2. Mix the basil, oregano, tomato puree, water, salt and pepper into the pan of onions and simmer for ten minutes.
3. While the mixture is simmering, rinse off the eggplant slices and steam them either in a microwave steamer basket (in two batches at 10 minutes each) or in a steamer over the stove.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-aerosol cooking spray.
5. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce-mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange one layer of the eggplants on the bottom of the dish. Pour one third of the tomato sauce over the eggplant. Pour one container of yogurt over the tomato sauce. Repeat the eggplant layer, tomato sauce, yogurt, eggplants, and top the dish with the remaining tomato sauce.
6. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle the wheat germ or breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole, followed by the Parmesan cheese. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes; until topping is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: