Ziti with Ratatouille Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in eggplants, bell peppers, zucchini, sweet potato, onion and garlic. Stir-fry until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons each of basil and mint. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
2 small japanese eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 4 or 5 large pieces
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small sweet potato (6 ounces), peeled and diced
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
3/4 cup tomato juice
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
12 ounces ziti or other tube-shaped pasta
2. Remove large pieces of red bell pepper from skillet and place in food processor. Add tomato juice and 3 of canned tomatoes to processor and process to a puree.
3. Return puree to skillet along with remaining canned tomatoes, vinegar, black pepper, sugar and red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer while you cook pasta.
4. In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and transfer to individual dinner plates.
5. Spoon sauce over ziti. Sprinkle remaining basil and mint on top and serve.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe