Vegetable Custard Tart
1/4 pound assorted wild and exotic mushrooms, such as shitakes, chanterelles, oysters, and or hedgehogs, wiped clean and sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
5 1/2-inch-thick slices red onions
5 1/2-inch-thick slices eggplant
10 1/2-inch-thick slices zucchini
10 1/2-inch-thick slices yellow squash
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated parmiagiano-reggiano cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
dash of worcestershire sauce
dash of hot sauce
1/2 recipe basic pie dough rolled out 1/8 inch thick
2. Put the mushrooms and vegetables in a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread the vegetables evenly on a large baking sheet and roast until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees
4. In another large mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and heavy cream and whisk well. Add the cheese, parsley, Worcestershire, and hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk to blend.
5. Line a 10-inch deep pie pan with the pie crust and crimp the edges. Layer the eggplant, then the squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions in the bottom of the pan. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top. Bake until the center sets and the top is golden, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minuets before slicing to serve.
Makes one 10-inch tart
Yield: 8 servings
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe