Asian Marinated Eggplant
1/4 cup tamari
1. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT EGGPLANT in a blender or processor.
2 tablespoons loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
3/8 ounce peeled fresh ginger
4 medium sized (2 ounces each) chinese eggplant
2. Process until smooth.
3. Prick the eggplants several times with a fork and pull off the leaves.
4. Cut in half lengthwise.
5. On the open side of each half make three deep diagonal slashes in each direction.
6. Place eggplants skin side down in a 13x9x2 oval dish.
7. Spoon 1-1/2 teaspoons of the marinade over each eggplant half.
9. Turn eggplants skin side up.
10. Pour remaining marinade into the dish.
11. Let stand 45 minutes.
12. Turn eggplants skin side down.
13. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap.
14. Cook at high power for 10 minutes.
15. Prick plastic to release steam.
16. Remove, uncover, spoon sauce over eggplants.
I thought this recipe was nice- a well-balanced, lively and tangy flavor brought the aubergine to life! i did cook the dish longer than the recipe called for, which made the pieces more tender. i also let the aubergine pieces marinate overnight, which perhaps infused more flavor than just 45 minutes. This recipe won't change your life or anything, but i thougt it was a bright and cheerful accent to some tofu with bell peppers and peanut sauce i'd made for a main dish.
chris, st. louis, missouri, USA
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe