Roasted Vegetable Paella
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut in -1/2-in. cubes
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1 small red pepper, cut in half, seeded and cut in 1-in. pieces
1/2 bulb fennel, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup short or medium grain white rice
1 pinch powdered saffron or saffron threads
1 can vegetable broth, (14 ozunces)
1 can plum tomatoes, (28 ounces) drained
1 package frozen lima beans, (10 ounces)
2. In large bowl, toss eggplant, red pepper, and fennel with 1/4 cup of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
3. Spread out on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes. Turn pieces over with spatula and roast 15 minutes longer or until tender and browned. Keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in very large saucepan.
5. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Stir in rice until coated in oil. Add saffron, vegetable broth, tomatoes, limas, and remaining salt and pepper and bring to boil. Simmer 15 minutes.
7. Stir in roasted vegetables, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Arrange on attractive platter or in paella dish.
Serve hot Serves 4.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe