Roasted Eggplant-Potato Puree
1 each eggplant, large
1. Split eggplant, lengthwise, and, using a sharp knife, score each cut side. Sprinkle each cut side of the eggplant lightly with salt and let stand for 1 hour. Place in a clean kitchen towel and, using a twisting motion, squeeze out as much of the salty moisture as possible.
1 1/2 pounds new red potatoes
1 fluid ounce extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lay the eggplant, cut-side down, on a non-stick baking pan. Place in preheated oven and roast for 40 minutes or until very soft. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Scrape pulp from skin, reserving pulp and discarding skin. Set pulp aside.
3. Peel and cut the potatoes into 2-inch cubes. Place in a medium size saucepan with salted water to cover over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
4. Add reserved eggplant. Using quick on and off turns, process potatoes and eggplant until just combined, being careful not to overwork.
5. Scrape from processor into a medium-size saucepan. Stir in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until just heated through. Serve hot.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe