Roasted Eggplant with Bulgur and a Yogurt Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from one of the lemons and one of the tangerines, then cut the zest of both into fine julienne. Juice both lemons and both tangerines and set the zest and juice aside.
2 eggplants, medium
salt, to taste
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup bulgur
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic, roasted and mashed
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 cup plain yogurt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and sprinkle the cut sides with salt. Place cut-side down on a rack to drain for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine boiling water and bulgur. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. Dry the eggplant with a paper towel; brush the cut sides with olive oil and place cut-side down on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until softened, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine half the roasted garlic, half the lemon juice, half the tangerine juice and the parsley. Slowly whisk half the oil into the bowl.
7. Uncover the bulgur and fluff the grains with a fork. Toss with the oil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
8. Scoop the pulp from the cooked eggplant, being careful not to tear the skins. Add the eggplant to the bulgur mixture, along with the pine nuts.
9. Stuff equal portions of the bulgur mixture into the eggplant skins, place on the baking sheet and place in the oven.
10. Meanwhile, place the remaining roasted garlic, lemon juice, tangerine juice, the mint and the yogurt in a blender and process for a few seconds. Remove the sauce from the blender and season with salt and pepper.
11. Serve the warm eggplant with the yogurt sauce on the side. Garnish with the lemon and tangerine zest.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe