Roasted Eggplant Salad
1 head garlic
1) Cut top quarter off garlic head. Place whole head on square of foil. Sprinkle with salt to taste and spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Fold edges of foil to seal. Set aside.
salt, as directed
olive oil spray
2 eggplants, cut into 1-inch slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 teaspoons minced fresh basil, plus
2 basil leaves, cut crosswise into thin strips
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 small tomato, chopped
4 slices rustic bread, toasted
2) Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on baking sheets sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Lightly spray eggplant with cooking spray. Place garlic packet on baking sheet with eggplant slices. Roast garlic and eggplant at 425F degrees until eggplant is tender and lightly browned and garlic is soft, about 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3) Remove peel from eggplant slices and break up into shreds or small pieces. Place in bowl and stir in cilantro, onions and 2 teaspoons minced basil.
4) Squeeze garlic from cooked cloves into separate small bowl and mash. Stir in vinegar, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir mixture into eggplant. Let eggplant chill in refrigerator at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
5) Spoon eggplant onto platter. Sprinkle chopped tomato around eggplant and sprinkle with basil strips. Serve with toasted bread.
This was the best I have ever tried. I added more cilantro and roasted garlic. mmmmmmm
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: