Rigatoni with Eggplant and Summer Squash
4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan over medium setting and add the garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for about one minute. (Do not let the garlic brown). Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, black pepper. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minute, partially covered.
2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cored, peeled, chopped
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
1 pound eggplant, peeled, 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound yellow summer squash
1 pound rigatoni
1/4 cup basil, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2. As the sauce simmers, heat the remaining three tablespoons of olive oil over high setting in a separate large pan. Add the eggplant, squash, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook, tossing, about 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and tender. After the tomato sauce simmers for 15 minutes, stir in the eggplant and zucchini mixture and simmer for 15 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water, stir, and cook according to package instructions. Just before draining the pasta, use a measuring cup to carefully scoop out r cup of the cooking water - add this to the sauce if necessary.
5. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Toss well. Serve garnished with basil and Parmesan.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe