Rich Chestnut Casserole
For the Casserole
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the parsnips and fry until soft.
olive oil, for frying
3 medium parsnips, chopped
6 ounces baby onions
2 large red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 eggplant, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
6 ounces button mushrooms
3 leeks, sliced
24 fresh chestnuts, cooked and peeled
For the Sauce
2 cups pasta
8 ounces fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup red wine
1 dash vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ounce fresh marjoram chopped
For the Topping
2 medium potatoes, parboiled and sliced
2. Add all the remaining vegetables, except the leeks and chestnuts and continue cooking on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Combine the sauce ingredients, then add to the vegetables.
4. Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated oven for 45 minutes at 200øC/400øF/Gas Mark 6, then add the leeks and chestnuts and cook for a further 15 minutes.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven, cover with potato slices and brown under a hot grill. Serve with pickled red cabbage.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe