Ratatouille (version X)
1 pound red, ripe tomatoes, washed and cut into eighths
1. Wash and cut the zucchini, eggplant and onions into 1-inch chunks; keep separate. Prepare garlic and set aside.
1 pound small zucchini
1 pound small italian or asian eggplant
2 pounds onions
6 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped coarse
2-3 tablespoons herbes de provence *
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon nonpareil (small) capers, unrinsed
juice and zest of 1 whole lemon
2. In large saucepan, sauté onions until translucent. Add peppers, along with some herbes de Provence, garlic, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the tomatoes.
3. Meanwhile, in sauté pans, sauté zucchini and eggplant separately in 1 tablespoon olive oil, covered, until wilted and almost cooked through.
4. Add equal portion of garlic and herbes de Provence, salt and pepper to each vegetable halfway through cooking.
5. After the onions, peppers and tomatoes have cooked for 5 minutes, add the zucchini and eggplant to the pot. Add the capers and lemon juice. Stir well, taste for seasoning, and cook together for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add the lemon zest, cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
6. Serve hot, chilled, or at room temperature. Adjust seasoning and refrigerate before serving cold. Or, reheat and serve warm or hot. This is delicious either way.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: