1 medium eggplant
1 small hand parsley (for garnish)
1 small onion, peeled and cut into eighths
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup quality olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Broil eggplant about 5 inches from heat about 20 minutes, turning often. When skin is charred and flesh is tender, peel eggplant under cold water and squeeze out as much juice as possible.
2. In food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade, chop parsley and remove to side dish.
3. Dust out work bowl, replace steel blade, add onion and garlic and give machine pulse until coarsely chopped.
4. Add flesh of eggplant and with machine running, add oil drop by drop through feed tube. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5. Pile into bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with warm pita bread.