Bean and Eggplant Stew
1 cup great northern beans, dried
1. Cook beans in 3 1/2 cups of water for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the stovetop or 10 to 15 minutes in a pressure cooker.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 large spanish onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium eggplant, diced
1-1/2 cups cooking liquid from beans
20 sun-dried tomato halves, minced
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
2. Reserve cooking liquid.
3. Heat oil in a large soup kettle over medium heat.
4. Sauté bay leaves, basil, oregano and onion until onion is soft and translucent.
5. Add garlic and eggplant and sauté for 5 minutes.
6. Add remaining ingredients.
7. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender.
Love it! Will cook it again and again.
Dutchy, Melbourne Australia
great northern bean is a white bean. you can find it at most grocery stores among the other beans :)
Kris, Location not stated.
Just wondered what a 'great northern bean' is....
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe