Grilled Pizza with Eggplant, Tomatoes and Feta
1 eggplant, large-sized, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
For the Dough:
2 tablespoon olive oil, preferably extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, large-sized, seeded and roughly chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Quick Pizza Dough
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 cup water
1. In a food processor, combine white and whole-wheat flours, yeast, salt and sugar; pulse to mix.
2. In a small saucepan or in a glass measuring cup, mix oil and water and heat in the microwave to between 125 and 130 degrees F (51.5 to 54.4 degrees C). With the processor on, gradually pour the warm liquid through the feed tube. (If the mixture is too dry, add warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. (The dough can be made ahead, enclosed in a plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.)
4. For original recipe: Divide the dough into 4 balls. On a floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll each ball out to a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Irregular circles are fine, just make sure the dough is about 1/8-inch-thick overall. Transfer the dough circles to grill-side on a lightly floured board.
For the Pizza:
1. Prepare the grill: To cook pizzas on a charcoal grill, build a medium-hot fire in one half of the grill (two bricks placed end-to-end work well as a divider). For a gas grill with two burners, preheat one burner on high, leaving the other unlit. For a single-burner gas grill, preheat on high, and lower the flame to cook the second side of the pizzas.
2. In a large bowl, toss eggplant slices with half of the oil. Sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper and grill, turning often, until tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool and chop coarsely.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped eggplant with tomatoes, feta, half of the mint and the remaining oil. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
4. Roll out the pizza dough into 4 circles and place on a floured board. Bring the dough and eggplant topping to grillside.
5. Place 2 of the dough circles on the hot side of the grill. Within 1 minute the dough will puff slightly, and the underside will firm up and be striped with grill marks. Immediately use tongs to flip the crusts over and onto the cooler side of the grill.
6. Spread half of the eggplant topping on the two crusts. Cover the grill and cook, rotating the pizzas once or twice, until the topping is heated through, about 5 minutes.
7. Remove the pizzas from the grill. Repeat with the remaining dough and eggplant topping.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe