Garden Gems Ratatouille
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and green pepper and sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
2 large yellow onions chopped
3 small yellow crookneck squash diced
3 small zucchinis diced
2 large green bell peppers diced
4 large japanese eggplants diced
3 cans chopped tomatoes in puree*, (14.5 ounces .)
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley and dill combined
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
to taste black pepper
Parmesan cheese grated
2. Add eggplant, cover and sauté 5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in zucchini, crookneck squash, and tomatoes. Simmer mixture gently, covered, leaving the lid slightly askew for evaporation. 20 to 25 minutes. * The juices will reduce down and just coat all the vegetables.
4. Stir in basil, parsley and dill, balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, dill and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve as a vegetable or entree over rice, polenta or pasta, slip in between lasagna noodles or on a pizza shell covered with cheese.
* If using fresh tomatoes peel and seed 4 cups chopped and simmer appox. 1 1/4 hours instead of 25 minutes.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe